The Main Cause of Winter House Fires in Melbourne

Fire is unpredictable; spreads in seconds and can decimate a home within minutes. House fires endanger everyone in the home, and even small fires that are put out quickly often result in thousands of dollars of damage. Having a proper insurance policy is essential to help mitigate the financial losses associated with a house fire, but it is far better to prevent the circumstances that frequently lead to a fire in the first place. Identifying these risks help you lower your chance of fire, keeping your family and property safer in the process.

 

Many kitchen fires start because the homeowner left food cooking unattended.

Many kitchen fires start because the homeowner left food cooking unattended.

Cooking Related Fires

Cooking fires are among the most common types of house fires. Grease is highly flammable once it gets hot enough, and it is difficult to get the flames out once they start. Many kitchen fires start because the homeowner left food cooking unattended. Never leave a burning stove unattended either, and thoroughly clean your cookware to prevent grease from building up over time.

 

Heat Source Fires

Home heaters cause fires when fabrics and other combustibles are left too close to them. Some heaters require fuel, such as kerosene, that ignite or blow up when not properly watched. Always follow the instructions on any heating device you use. Electrical heaters cause fires as well, especially if the electrical wiring in the heater is going faulty. Never leave the house with a heater running.

 

If a candle falls over, or if something is left too close to the flame, a fire starts almost instantly

If a candle falls over, or if something is left too close to the flame, a fire starts almost instantly

Smoking

Smoking is hazardous to your health, but also potentially leads to a house fire. Smoking in bed is especially dangerous, and should always be avoided. All it takes is a single stray ash to ignite a mattress, blanket, carpet or piece of clothing. Smoke outside whenever possible.

 

Candles

Burning candles are very dangerous when left unattended. If the candle falls over, or if something is left too close to the flame, a fire starts almost instantly. Keep matches and lighters locked in a secure place if you have kids, and never leave a candle burning in a room you aren’t currently residing.

 

Electrical Fires

Electrical fires result from faulty wiring or an outlet being overloaded. If you plug a device with a faulty cable into an outlet, it might spark and cause a fire as well. Never plug more power into a circuit than it is designed to handle.

 

If you plug a device with a faulty cable into an outlet, it might spark and cause a fire as well.

If you plug a device with a faulty cable into an outlet, it might spark and cause a fire as well.

Chemical Fires

Chemical fires are also extremely common. If motor oil, cleaning chemicals or other flammable liquids get too hot, they either ignite or explode. It’s also not just the chemicals themselves that require care. Vapors are often more flammable than the chemicals themselves. Rags that had previously been soaked in flammable chemicals will spontaneously ignite if vapors built up and get too hot. Store all chemicals in their proper containers, and keep them in locations that don’t heat up too much. Dispose of cleaning rags safely, or wash them thoroughly enough to remove flammable chemicals.

 

Melbourne Forensic Cleaning Comprehensive Fire and Smoke Damage Remediation

Smoke and fire damage is dependent on several factors which all impact on the fire damage restoration process. The temperature of the fire and smoke movement determines what damage occurs, and predominately where the most damage occurs. Smoke can penetrate the smallest areas; so it is common in fire and smoke damaged houses are areas that weren’t affected first hand by the fire. It is critical to ensure the fire damage restoration begins as soon as possible. As smoke is acidic, moisture and humidity are a catalyst to the corrosive dilapidation of finishes and fixtures in the premises.

It is especially important that you do not attempt to clean or restore damaged wood, walls, carpets, draperies, clothing, furniture, or electrical appliances without first contacting a professional restorer. Improper cleaning can result in permanent discolouration and damage. Melbourne Forensic Cleaning offer a rapid and cost-effective solutions for all properties affected by fire or smoke damage. Contact our team today and see for yourself why Melbourne Forensic Cleaning is Victoria’s first port of call not matter how big or small the fire damage job may seem.

Share the Post

About the Author

Comments

No comment yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *